Friday, July 6, 2012

Clean Slate

  Many times when I failed at something my father would pronounce "Now you have a clean slate!". We would have a rather lengthy conversation about all the interesting ways I had flubbed it up, then my slate would be clean.

  I didn't know what a slate was, didn't know mine was dirty, and certainly had no clue if I could then keep it clean!

  Nevertheless I got the basic concept. My sins were forgiven, my future was restored, and my dad could think proudly of me again.

  Inevitably I began to sully the cleanness of my slate. I enjoyed making my slate dirty. (I still do)

  My dad would begin the next round of correction by exploring the vast ways I had previously failed. Although I didn't know what a slate was, I knew mine was never actually wiped clean. The filth was still there and my dad never failed to remind me.

  Today I understand what a slate is and how it gets cleaned. In reality, every attempt I make to clean the slate of my life fails. Every time.

  I need a power greater than myself that can clean it. I need a redeemer who has cleanser. I need a saviour who has the ability to forget what was on the slate. I need a super duper slate cleaner!

  My father was a poor substitute for this need I had. I imagine that God wanted my dad to demonstrate this slate cleaning concept, my dad just couldn't.

  I walk through life now intimately aware of my faults. These sins don't get in the way of Gods love towards me. He sees me writing on my slate and loves me anyways. His love is free and covers anything I write.

  I have a clean slate and God has given me a pen with invisible ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment