Monday, February 3, 2014

Football

  Its been an interesting football season for me. It started out with me mildly caring about football, because my mom does, and crescendoed with me hooting and hollerin at my TV!

  Oh sure, at one time I was a follower of the sport. I watch the Saturday Night Live skit about Da Bears, learned who a few of the players were (GO Fridge!), and was immersed into the realm of the NFL. I watched as Emmett ran and Aikman threw. The Cowboys cheerleaders were intoxicating and the sport was a place of companionship.

  Unfortunately,  years of religious drubbing had taken its toll, sitting in a pew piously pitying the unwashed masses who would dare miss church for such vulgarities. I'm not even sure I ever desired to be more faithful to God by being so holy, I just seized upon an opportunity to exert control over others. Here was a way to place myself firmly in the Holier than Thou land! And boy did I!

  So when I became a sentient being, football needed close evaluation. Mom had become a powerful force of love in my life. She loved football. Should I risk the scorn of the professional religionists? Could this sport be enjoyable and even, dare I say, a good thing?

  Seattle won, so I guess that answers the "good" question! Ha!

  At the start of the season I watched some games with mom. It was terrific! She hooted and howled at the screen as I gazed on in wonderment. How come I couldn't relax that much? As the Seahawks continued their dominance, reflections of my youth began returning. I was mocked once for liking the Seahawks, but I really did like them, my family was from there. At one time I could sit with friends and cut loose watching a game!

  The season progressed and I found myself becoming more and more interested in what was happening. I was slowly becoming a fan again.

  So, when I had the chance to watch the Superbowl, I did. Reflections upon years gone by, celebrations of the game at hand, and dreams of future Superbowl parties, were all present and accounted for. Completely out of character, I barked at the screen and found a taste of freedom that was lost somewhere back on the trail.

  Oh, my friend, it was glorious! If Denver had won this blog might be more somber, but they lost, wooopiiieeee!!!! It was great!

One last thought......

"Pastor wants you to have the same passion for church that you have for the Super Bowl. Scream at him if he fumbles his words during the sermon." - Church Curmudgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment