Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Ring Toss (part two)

  Well I made it! Some friends and I got together at the IHOP restaurant right in the Costco parking lot. We had dinner, chatted a bit, then walked out to toss the ring.

  I made no formality about it. I had figured that I might say a prayer, perhaps talk about a specific memory, or somehow express my sorrow. There was no need. These men have been by my side all along. They knew the scene. All of them, at one time or another, had listened to my laments about my marriage. They helped carry me thru the garbage.

  We walked over to the tree and looked for a place to toss the ring. On the far end of the lot was a big grassy dip that would likely have a dry well in the bottom. We headed that way.

  Things became quieter. We were all a little nervous. Someone commented how strange it would seem seeing a group of men walk across a parking lot and down into the ditch.

  One of the guys started to lift the grate off the top of the well. Another commented how I could just drop it down the grate. I was in a fog. I couldn't speak.

  Without saying a word I dropped the ring, turned, and walked away. The pain was so immensely powerful at that very moment, I simply couldn't think, let alone speak. Tears started flowing.

  We walked out of the ditch. We had maybe spent 30 second down there. Someone commented how strange it would look to see a group of guys walk into a ditch, one tries to take the lid off the drain, then another reaches down and drops something into the drain. I thought that was funny and started laughing.

  He had broken the ice. I am so grateful.

  We started joking around and being silly dudes. We fellowshipped in the parking lot for quite a while. I could tell that the men weren't going to leave until I was OK. That was a nice gift.

  The last gift I got that night was a friend calling me in the midst of a crisis. We were all about to head out when the call came in. My friend was hurting and wanted to talk. I offered for him to come out and meet us for dessert. He accepted the offer. I was so grateful that I could be of service.

I felt completely loved and valued the entire time I went to toss the ring. I even felt needed.

  Thank you.

  Thank you to the men who were there that night.

  Thank you to you the reader. Many of you who read this have walked this road with me.

  Thank you to all who have journeyed with me.

  Now I am a single dude.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment