Thursday, October 3, 2013

Chuck Smith

  Today is a sad day. I am mourning the loss of Chuck Smith. His ministry and life were very instrumental in my life. When he broke Christian tradition and started ministering to hippies, he ultimately broke thru to the very people who would help me in my recovery.

  Chuck understood the powerful love and grace of Jesus. He leaves behind quite a legacy. Many people have learned about Jesus thru him.

  Now let me personalize this blog.

  One of my earliest childhood memories was of Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa. The Children of The Day were performing and I was back stage. The place was so large and there was quite a crowd. I remember being overwhelmed with the size of the place. I don't think I had ever seen anything so big with so many people.

  The Children of The Day group were friends of my parents. I spent many days playing with Marsha's son and daughter. I didn't know it at the time, but my future would rely heavily upon the concept Marsha sung about in her song "Come to the water". I did come Marsha. And I drank up Jesus to the dregs. Thank you for such a beautiful song about such a wonderful God.

  Greg Laurie toured with Children of The Day for a while. I actually don't remember this happening, but Greg would go on to preach and teach to quite large crowds. Greg's messages could be found thru podcasts and on YouTube. When my world fell apart under the heavy weight of my wretched sin, Greg's messages carried me back to the cross. He taught me that I was acceptable and loved. He taught me to stand strong in the truth of the bible. Thanks Greg.

  What does all this have to do with Chuck Smith?

  As I wrote about earlier, Chuck was the one with the vision. God used him to draw people to Christ, the same people who would bring the gospel to me. Countless times I have been reminded just how fortunate my life is and how Chuck helped lay the foundation.

  I never wrote Chuck and told him these things. I am reminded today just how much I need to tell people how much I love them. I am sad at his going home. I am also sad I never wrote him. I need to remember this lesson.

  Thank you Chuck. I love you and am exceedingly blessed because of you. Prepare yourself for a big ole bear hug from me.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, yup I was there. People wonder why I wasn't more upset that Papa Chuck and I disagreed on some things. But that was nothing I had to overcome! He was the one who taught me to be like the Bereans in the book of Acts who went home and "searched the Scriptures themselves to see if these things are so." I loved him so much and if he taught me nothing else, he taught me grace. I have a wonderful foundation in the faith because of him. Thank you for the posting, Josh. It's good to see where your heart is today. Marsha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha.

      The sheer volume and magnitude of the pain I have caused, and felt, left me with little choice but to run to the cross. Its this deep understanding of grace that propels me today. I hope Jesus can clean up the messes I have caused. I am busy just trying to get out of the way.

      The message of grace used to baffle me. It was like people were telling me, "God has given you a white robe, make sure you keep it clean". Its just not possible. The one who supplied the robe keeps it clean. So I am free to play, scuff up my knees, and go home where its warm and there is plenty of food. Grace is way cool!

      When reading Chucks obituary I realized that I am the same age as he was when he started reaching out to the castaways. This brought me hope that I can still be of use. I have a quite a few good friends today. Never had that before. We are free to be real and authentic.

      May God bless you and your family. I hope you are being comforted in the loss of Chuck.

      Delete