Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dispensational truth

  Ahh, nothing like a theological term to title a blog. Really gets the interest piqued huh? Here is the scoop.

  My friend had always struggled with eternal security. You know, once saved always saved. He has finally gotten comfortable knowing he can't lose his salvation, but now he wants to show his brother (who thinks he lost his salvation). But he is unsure how to deal with Hebrews chapter six. Good question, how do you deal with Hebrews six if you can't lose your salvation?

  The first thing to point out is that Hebrews is God's command that men make the coffee. That being said, Hebrews is written to the Jews. So we must begin with a Jewish outlook about it. (I am going to say the Hebrews coffee thing in church sometime, deadpan all the way!)

  If you understand that the promises given to the Hebrews, and the promises given to the church, are different, then you have completed Theology and Eschatology 101. Oh sure, the promises can be similar, and there is overlap, but where they are different we should just accept that they are different. It really settles a lot of scripture.

  To keep it simple, if you want to get the message to the church correct, just pay attention to the Apostle to the Gentiles. That would be Paul. He shoots a straight message about salvation, in the church age, in all his epistles. If he authored Hebrews, he was clearly aiming at a different audience (Israel).

  Just like gleaning from the spiritual promises made to, say Noah, we must be careful not to apply the physical promises given to Noah incorrectly. We could end up with "gopher wood and pitch" churches! The physical promises made to the nation Israel are great for spiritual lessons, they can wreck havoc when applied literally (not spiritually) to the christian. (Gopher wood and pitch, a great Christian band name!)

  I hope I am not stirring the pot here. This dispensational belief I hold has been taught for many years and is considered orthodox. Yes, its a huge hunk o' spiritual meat. Some gag and some spit it out. But basically, its the only way to reconcile many verses.

  I have heard this called "The Kingdom of God" and "The Kingdom of Heaven". Since heaven isn't God (that would be pantheism) they must be different. Simply put, Israel's physical promises are "The Kingdom of Heaven". The church's spiritual promises are "The Kingdom of God". Are there overlap? Yep. Are the promises often different? You bet!

  Confused yet?

  I think for me the matter cleared up when I found myself unable to understand Hebrews 6, James 2, Acts 2, Matthew 5-7, and Matthew 24. They didn't make sense in light of Paul's epistles or the Gospel of John. How can you understand the diaspora (Matthew 24) if you think Israel's promises are to the church? Once I realised I was reading someone elses promises, I relaxed. Finally, I had peace and the Bible made sense. I was no longer trying to reconcile things that are meant to be different. I could gain great spiritual truths from those scriptures and not fret about the "works" that are in them.  

  Hope this helps. Hope I didn't just confuse you more. Next week, a study of hermeneutics. If you know what that last word means then you don't need to read next week!

  P.S. I really ain't writin bout none dem thar hermunooticks next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment