Friday, September 20, 2013

Helping out

  Had a dude ask me for money yesterday. At first I thought it would be the standard story. I see a fair amount of homeless people and this one seemed no different.
 
  He started by offering to shine up the wheels on my truck (if I had the stuff to do it). He mentioned washing the windows. He asked if there was anything he could do to earn a couple bucks.

  I smiled and didn't say anything. What could I say? Hey dude, I see people like you once or twice a week....go to a shelter. I am not that blunt.

  The guy proceeded to tell me his story. He was an armed robber who just got out of prison. He was left in Tacoma with no money and a waiting list to get in the shelter. He pulled out his wallet and showed me his offender identification.

  Whoa! Wait now!! I was reluctant to help this dude to begin with, now he is a ex-con who was busted for armed robbery! Oh my.

  Instantly I got the thought, "Who would make THAT their story when asking for help?" I could think of many stories to tell, but a felon with a violent past, that's complete nutso!

  My heart melted. I am also guilty of many regrettable things. I also want people to look beyond the past and love me into the future. I desire mercy, so did he.

  In a moment of compassion I saw him as a fellow human in need. He may have needed a beer, some weed, a pack of smokes, or even something to eat. So I helped him. I reached in my wallet and gave him a twenty. It blew his mind.

  I don't tell this in order to try and elevate my feelings about myself. I am a cynical and doubting dude. I have a tough exterior and I like that. But I also like mercy. I like giving others a much needed break.

  On the spiritual side of things.....last night, at my second place of delivery, I found a twenty dollar bill on the ground. I am a spiritual giant!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment