Monday, October 6, 2014

Oblivious

  I love writing about those moments where I don't quite get what's going on.  My inability to pick up on cues is staggering.  I am a social cripple! I present such a case:

  I arrive at a truck stop and settle in. A short while later, I notice that a coworker is going to park next to me. She appears stressed. She needs help backing her trailer in...... Uh oh!

  ("She" is a problem. Not this one in particular. All women. Well....most women. Here's the thing, I tend to sexualize female encounters. Rather, that's what I did for many years. These last four years I have been getting my black belt in situational awareness. Today I can treat women with respect! But, I had to become a dork to avoid certain situations. Dorking out, this will become key later in the story.)

  I hop out of my truck, pausing only to put on my superman cape, and help guide her into her spot. She is very grateful, explains how she is worn out from driving all day, and how nice it was to help her out.

  No problem. Glad to help. Have a pleasant night. I get back in my truck.

  My friends are playing online and I join in. We are all chatting and having fun. That's when I get a knock on my door.

  She's back!

  I then that I noticed her truck had moved. She mentions that the parking is better at the other end of the lot. There is a spot next to hers down there and perhaps I should move. Leaving in the morning would be much easier from those other spots.

  She's right. But I don't care. I'm comfortable right here. Besides, I want to get back to goofing off with my friends.

  She hands me a movie. Its a part two of some dumb movie I didn't care to see part one of. She says that she wanted to thank me and saw this movie. Figured I might like it.

  I'm like, "Nah, I got Netflix. It works just fine. Thank you for the kind thought. I gotta go. Have a nice evening."

  I left her holding some snacks, movie in hand, wanting to thank me.

  Now, at the moment all I could think about was getting back and hanging with my friends. At the moment, my phone was blowing up with text messages wondering what was going on. (My friends had heard a females voice and then I went silent). I wasn't aware of the texts yet. I was still outside.

  After her and I parted ways I noticed all my texts. My friends were really worried. They thought a lot lizard had grabbed my attention! I had a good laugh as I told them it was just a coworker.

  Then it hit me!

  I think she wanted some company watching the movie! I remember how strange she looked at me when I said I had Netflix! Netflix doesn't have ME ya big dork!

  Oh well.

  I have practiced the art of not flirting for years now. I am really slow to the draw! I'm glad I am.

  Right now I am on a quest to find myself. Sure a night of passionate popcorn eating might be fun, but it would wound me. I'm not looking to start anything with any women.

  But how funny is it that I couldn't even pick up the clues! "I have Netflix!"

  Oblivious dork! I love it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment