Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Prison

  Delivering to prisons is a strange thing. Yesterday I picked up a load from the Airway Heights prison. Then the load delivered over at the Monroe prison today. 

When I got out of my truck I made sure to leave my pens behind. What if I dropped one and an inmate found it and made it into a homemade knife!? I was apprehensive and cautious. Who knows the damage one wayward pen might cause.  

  The prisoners that loaded and unloaded the truck ended up being very nice. I am not sure what I was expecting but it sure wasn't that they would be so pleasant. I suppose that these inmates have done well in the system and likely have little time left.

  When they got the first pallet off the truck it was shrink wrapped. One of the prisoners reached in his pocket, pulled out a boxcutter razor, sliced off the plastic, and started unstacking the boxes. Guess he wouldn't have much use for a silly ole pen!

  I was surprised at how casual the whole thing actually is. They get lots of deliveries and it is not a different thing for them. For me it was the same as any other customer except they were prompt, courteous, and nice. So much for my preconceived notions.

  Heck, I never even had to drive through a security gate. I just had to speak into a box and the guard told me where to drive.

  There was a running track next to where I delivered. Around it quite a few inmates were running or walking. Certainly life for the prisoners is not all about exercise, but those guys doing laps seemed to be enjoying themselves. 

  I delivered a load to a prison in Texas once. It was a minimum security prison but was in the midst of 4 or 5 other prisons. A guard there pointed at one of the other prisons and exclaimed, "That's the max prison where we put people to death". He was very proud. He said there was a museum on site where you could see all the prison implements from the history of prisons in Texas. Wow, now that's a vacation destination! Hey kids try out this funny chair with all the wires!

  It was pleasant today. I took a walk down to a gazebo to smoke a cig. It was the only place on the grounds you were allowed to smoke. While I walked inmates drove by on lawnmowers and said good morning. They could have been anybody in Anywhere, USA just out mowing the grass.

  I have unwittingly thought of prisoners as horrible, heartless, and evil men. The men I saw today were not that way. Is it possible that these men have changed and will make it? I don't really know. Meeting them gave me hope and hope is what makes my life what it is today. I imagine that hope is a strong driving force in those mens lives as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment