Sunday, July 3, 2011

College home run derby

  I am watching this home run derby right now. I have never watched one before. These teenage guys can really hit!

  The pitcher seemed to be trying to pitch the ball just right so the hitter ca clobber the ball over the fences. Who did the young men chose to pitch for them? I was suprised to see their dads pitching to them.

  The announcers were talking about one of the hitters named Victor. His dad lives 15 hours away from where he goes to college. His dad routinely drives over to see his son play. Remarkable.

  I can imagine the pride and nervousness the dads must be feeling. They are attempting to throw the best pitches so their sons can knock them out of the park. I admire these dads.

  My daughters are going to their first ball game tomorrow. I regret not being able to go. I have an enormous pit in my soul.

  I am just now awakening to the greatness of sports. For years I was taught that sports were evil. They took you away from the Lord. While I think it is possible to make an idol of sports, there is nothing wrong with enjoying them.

  I dream of playing ball recreationaly with my family. When I met my wife we went and played basketball lots of times. Going and watching sports with the family is a good and healthy thing. It promotes love and communication.

  This home run derby is quite enjoyable. These young men are great! They have inspired me to be a better dad. I could just imagine the time spent in the back yard tossing the ball, at little league, and pizza parties afterwards.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment