Friday, July 22, 2011

Tehachapi

  No, the title isn't an Indian curse word. Well, I don't think it is anyways!

  I decided to take a detour yesterday. It added only 4 miles to my drive but I completely missed having to drive thru LA. This detour took me across hwy 58 thru the Tehachapis. It was a day full of memories.

  First it was up and over the Tehachapis. When my wife and I first travelled thru that area she remarked that she would like to live there. I remember hoping that one day I could move her to a place she really would love to live. Sometimes we would travel in the area and see huge fields of California poppies.  Those flowers were so bright and vibrant. We were so young. Someday I hope to talk her into running thru a field of flowers in a cute dress. That would be a great memory to have.  

  I continued on into Kramer junction. It was there that I started liking the big trucks. The place sort of had a wild west, frontierie (wow what a word!) kind of a feel. The truckers, I imagined, were the last of the cowboys riding the lonely plains. Somehow lonely seemed inviting at the time. What was I thinking!

  My trip then turned south thru Adelanto and into Hesperia. I lived in Adelanto for a while in an apartment with my sister. I remember her getting a little upset with me when her son got all muddy playing in a puddle. Her son was just barely a tricycle motor. To be fair it was a disgusting puddle. If moms only knew the disgusting things that little boys will do. 

  This short cut across the dessert also reminded me of a journey to the bay area in my 1956 pickup that had no speedometer. I had lost a fanbelt in Kramer junction. Then got lost in the bay area. It was an epic journey. I will write it all out sometime.

  All told it was a very pleasant detour. My mind was bombarded with many great things.

  Sometimes lifes circumstances can get a bit rough. In this life God promises trials and temptation. When I have a chance to take a detour and encounter many great memories, today, I take it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment