Sunday, December 4, 2011

Dreams

  I had a dream! Ok, not the exact beginning of a memorable speech, but I did have an unusual one.

  I was thinking, before I went to sleep, what I would say if a judge asked me "Why do you deserve leniency?"  I really struggled with that thought. If I was guilty then I would not "deserve" leniency. Being guilty would make me deserve the penalty.

  My speech would likely include how unworthy of leniency I would be. I, being undeserving, nevertheless would be requesting grace and not justice.

  Justice before God hinges on what someone else has done. If the penalty was paid, as in Jesus, then I would have wanted to strike a deal before court to have Him pay the penalty. This is called, making terms of peace with the judge and the law by the payment of Christ.

  A criminal trial on earth is another matter entirely. Our system does not accomidate another person paying the penalty. We have pardons and commutations, but those are granted without someone actually paying the price.

  So, as a criminal, what would I say if asked "Why do you deserve leniency?"

  Evidently it haunted my dreams. I was placed in the courtroom many times (I kept waking up). Each time I was silent. What could I say? Do you have an answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment