Saturday, December 31, 2011

Running to win

  I like Paul's comparison of living for God to that of running a race to win. We all imagine approaching the end of our life and hearing God compliment us on what we have done. Well, at least we want to imagine it that way! 

  I have a little history with running. It started in highschool running cross country for Riverside Christian High. I have many fun memories of running on the team, but perhaps the most memorable was the first "Cross country meet".

  It was held in Hesperia. Hesperia was a high desert city, very dry, and awfully hot. The course was about three miles long (as all cross country styles are). The course went thru a series of ravines, turned right, went up a hill, thru a sandtrap, back down the hill, across the ravines, and finally done.

  We psyched ourselves up. I had no real experience with running so far. I had only been to a couple of practices. There were quite a few schools represented their, so many that they had to stagger the starts. My team was on the second or third start.

  And we were off! Jason (our teams indian super-runner) blasted forward to an early lead. I valiantly fought my way to the back of the pack.

  We turned and headed up the hill. Still we were all running in a pack. Then the sand. It was as if all energy I thought I had was sucked right out of me. The sand pit was huge and I could see the leaders starting to head back down the hill. I began to walk.

  My friend Jimmy started to walk also. We comforted each other on our failings and walked together. We would jog for a while, get winded, and walk again. Finally we made it back down the hill. All that remained was the few ups and downs of the ravines.

  We could start making out the finish line. Behind us we saw the next races runners coming down from the sand trap. Panic set in. What if we finished after the next group of runners? This could not happen!

  Jimmy and I started running. As we got closer to the finish, I became aware we were racing to see who would be last. We had come to an agreement before that we would try and tie, but now that was thrown out. We were really racing!

  When we came up on the finish the people stretched a ribbon across for us to run thru. How very nice! We blasted our way thru to the cheers of the crowd. I don't know who won.

  Then it all became clear. They thought we were the first to finish in the next race! The people who actually finished first had been robbed of their glorious finish by us!

  I guess we should have given back the ribbons for first and second place.

  Okay, I am just kidding! We sheepishly told the event staff what had happened. They made no big deal about it.

  Running to win is what I try to do now. If I must pass out in the sand pits of life, I will continue pressing on to the glory of God. No first place in the second race will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment