Sunday, December 18, 2011

"Velveted paws"

  I am currently reading The Chronicles of Narnia again. This will be my second time thru them. Actually, it will be my third, seeing as my momma read them to me as a child.

  Let me say, my momma gave me a tremendous gift by reading them to me as a child. I remember being so frightened of Tumnus and wondering if Lucy was being dumb by going with him. Do you suppose me mom saw my fear? She opened up my mind and sent me on a journey. When I read the series today I marvel at how quickly the story develops. As a child, the story was much longer. Or maybe my mom took her time reading the story, cherishing every moment. Thank you mom!

  In the first book, "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe", Lucy describes something wonderful about Aslan. She observes that Aslan's paws were huge and that he "velveted them".  

  I caught the imagery straight away. I could just picture those massive paws being soft, yet dangerous. Speaking about Aslan, Mr. Beaver observed that Aslan isn't safe but he is good. If Aslan had extended his claws, he could have ripped apart those around him. 

  This speaks volumes about our God. His touch is gentle as well as terrifyingly strong. He keeps His claws in when dealing with friends. Watch out if you are an enemy!

  Our God is not like a kitten that accidently extends their claws all the time. God doesn't sharpen His claws on our furniture or drapes.

  Many people have attempted to de-claw our Lord. They are terrified of judgement and attempt to satisfy their fears by imagining that there is no god or that god does not judge sin. 

  Or, perhaps they think that God is all love. They can see His velvet touch on His friends and assume He touches everyone that way.

  Dear reader, please understand, God is both. He is loving, yet terrible. Gentle and strong. My prayer is that you find His gift so that you can avoid those claws. They are frightening!

  Thank you Lord for showing me your salvation. Thank you for paying my penalty. The price you paid was extreem. It would have taken me forever to pay for my sin, just like the Bible said.

  Velvet paws. Thank God for velveted paws.  

No comments:

Post a Comment