Sunday, May 29, 2011

Model rockets

  One summer while growing up I went to a summer day camp. This happened on one of our yearly pilgrimages to the Seattle area to visit family. These visits would be for two weeks and were always filled with great activities. 

  At this camp we did lots of cool things including one year building model rockets. We did lots of activities each year on the vacation, so I am not super sure that I am not mixing the day camp with another memory.

  Either way, one year we built these rockets. And by built them I mean by scratch. They gave us some papertowel tubes, some assorted types of paper, some instruction, a bit of glue, and (but of course) a rocket motor.

  Oh wow was it exciting! I had never seen a model rocket or even knew what one was or did. But I built it to spec and hoped for the best.

  I remember some of the other kids talking as if they were experienced in the activity. I recall them saying that they had built them before. Some even had rockets at home.

  At this moment in time I was still not quite sure what these rockets could do. I certainly didn't act like I didn't know, that would be embarassing. 

  After the build I remember looking at my rocket and thinking, "Well it looks sort of like a rocket, but not as cool as a model you could by at a hobby store". You see, I was only familiar with the glue together plastic things that looked like real things but had no real functionality.

  Then it was off to the field for the launch. I think my mom got to be there for the launch.

  They were setting up this pad with long rods sticking up vertically out of these round metal plates. I began to see the magic of what my little rocket actually was. They gave us a briefing on safety (like I listened) and demonstrated how to place the ignition cap in the motor. They showed us how the little straws we had taped to the side of the rocket would slide over the long rods and hold the rocket on the launching pad.

  I let a little bit of my ignorance show. I asked why the rods had to be so much longer than the rocket. They told me something like, "The rod guides the rocket for the first couple of feet so in can fly straight up". I most likely said that made sense and went back to quietly observing. But I then understood what was to come!

  A rocket was staged for launch. We all backed away.

  We counted down then fawoosh! The rocket belched smoke and took of like, well, like a rocket! I watched it ascend. Oh what a sight! I almost lost it (both the rocket and my mind). Then the smoke stopped and it started falling.

  It fell for what seemed like an eternity. Then pop, out came the parachute. I had forgotten about that feature! I watched its landing and was hooked.

  I don't remember my first launch. I may have been the first but I don't really know. It was inconceivable that I could even build something that did that.

  One of the counselors mentioned he had a muliple stage rocket that would go up so high you would completely lose sight of it. Then it would take a picture at the top!

  From that day one I wanted to fly these things. I never had the chance to again until many years later.

  I won't write about my later experiences right now. Let's just say that model rockets in a city park can surprise joggers. And, if you get one stuck in a tree, its handy to have a saw in the truck to cut off the branch with. Ahh good times!

  Learning about model rockets was so awesome! I was transfixed from that moment on.

  That first day of model rockets was a very special day. The counselors were great and the program was wonderful. I don't know if those people know how much that day meant to me. I sure hope I thanked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment