Sunday, May 22, 2011

Space Shuttle part 2

  I got some input from my mom about the trip to see the Shuttle land.

  Turns out that it was the first landing of the first Space Shuttle that I got to go see. And, I was taken out of school to go see it. Wow, I really was doing what little boys love to do!

  On the way back we went and saw Calico Ghost Town. I am not sure if I ever have been there again. But I remember the place very well.

  There was a room with a dude who stood on a small platform. It appeared like he was tilting in relation to the room. He gave some sort of speech about something. I don't know what he said. Maybe, he was a ghost! I get it now, he was a ghost and he couldn't speak things that could be remembered! As a kid I am sure I wondered where all the ghosts were in this "ghost" town.

  Outside, there was a gutter with water that flowed the wrong way. When I got back to Big Bear I tried to recreate this phenomena. By failing to pull it of, I told my friends that I had proven that water flowed the wrong way only when in Calico. They could only see it if they went there.

  Calico Ghost Town stuck with me for a very long time. When I later learned where it was I always wanted to return. I kick myself for not slowing myself down enough to make that possible.  

  I have been to Knott's berry farm and seen similar things. It is such a cool thing to remember when I went to Calico. I had no idea it happened on the same day I went and saw the landing.

  Now for something sad. Turns out, it wasn't my grandpa that took us that day. In my desire to have some good memories of him, I placed him in one that he wasn't even at. I won't go into a great deal about this right now. I plan on blogging about this in a future "Grandpas" blog.

  Thank you Mom and Dad for taking me to see the Shuttle land. There are very few times in life that we have a choice to do something so historical. I have a great memory to be thankful for. Thank you for making that choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment