Friday, August 19, 2011

No more whining

  Stupid title. But what else could I use? I am picking up wine barrels and taking them into Washington.

  It is really a neat process. They are all hand made. Dudes with mallets beating the metal rings on. I had seen it done on tv. Like on Dirty Jobs. But this is so much different. These guys know what they are doing. And fast! Lemme tell ya!

  The "firing" is awesome. They have one guy who controls the charring of the insides of the barrels. He is in a room with this huge ventilation system. Outside the building I couldn't smell any charred oak. I suppose they scrub the exhaust of any contaminates. California, go figure.

  You wouldn't know that they were making wine barrels in this building. It looks like any of the other industrial buildings in the area. Just another small buisness making a product.

  The guy loading my truck is French. He speaks good english but with a very thick accent. He pointed out which dock door he would like me to back into. I told him I would rather park in a different one. He surrendered without a fight. Go figure! Oui Oui!

  Ah but seriously, it is a neat factory. I marvel at all the artisans there really are in this great country of ours. God has truly blessed us!

No comments:

Post a Comment