Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Courage

  Having courage seems to me to be a big deal. That feeling of vulnerability or weakness should leave us as we grow in our faith. Right? Ok maybe not. Perhaps courage is not absence of fear, but rather, the presence of strength.

  It is a curious thing then that the only mention of the word "courage" in the new testament is at the end of Acts (Acts 28:15).

  I am sure there are words that are used that are synonymous with courage. That is not the point.

  The point for me is to observe why "courage" shows up at this time and place in the Bible.

  Paul is headed for Rome. He is to face another trial for his beliefs. He has been thru much. Ya know the stuff; beatings, imprisonment, ship wrecks, snake bites, and so much more.

  Then he gets to see some brothers. It is at this point that he is mentioned at taking courage. He took courage because he was with believers. Evidently he had not met any christians I have met! Well, actually he had. These weren't those. These were the true friends.

  This is a large blessing for me to read. Far to often, I have been dis-couraged by my fellow believers.

  As Paul was assured by God that he would be ok, Paul also was en-couraged by his brethren. Wow, give up some love for that!

  So encourage each other. Give each other hope. Go out of your way to be with someone in perilous times. They need you to be with them in the tight spots.

  Paul was a tremendous man of God. He was a fighter for the faith. On more than one occasion he even heard directly from God. His faith was unwavering and without compromise. And yet, this mighty man of God, was strengthened by his friends.

  This has been the case in my life. My mom, dad and certain others have been my support. The courage I have now has been helped greatly by them.

  Will I fail and fumble along in my life? Well, yes! What did you expect! Check out what Paul wrote in Romans 7, it talks all about failure. The point is that we can get support from fellow Christians in our darkest hours and greatest failures.

  Do I expect all Christians to support me? Yeah right! Ain't gonna happen! But those few that do are a super blessing to me.  

  Are you a Christian in distress? Battle worn? Tired and lonely? Afraid of tomorrow? Disgusted by yesterday? Not sure that today will work out?

  Take courage my friend. I have been where you are. At times life seemed a good price to pay for comfort. I had fellow believers step up and lend me there strength til God could give me His.

  We are out here. There are Christians who won't condemn but rather will love you back to a right relationship with God. Have faith and pray for God to send you that right someone. He will. He did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment