Friday, June 17, 2011

Judging intent

  My mom told me a saying, "I expect others to judge me by my intent, while I judge others by their actions".

  This is a proven concept in my life. Often I find it difficult to try and establish someones intent. Can God make it easier? Do I love them inspite of their actions?

  Perhaps that is why the Bible is so clear on the subject:

1Cor 13:4-6
  Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up
  Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil
  Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth

  Charity means love. But it implies a certain kind of love. A giving love. A love that has action. A love that is kind.  

  Think about the phrase, "Thinketh no evil". This sounds like intent to me. We are to love without thinking evil. Sounds easy enough.

  I am sure that most peoples intents are good. It is seldom that someone trying to damage others. Most of us just try to live and we screw up along the way. Even when we intentionaly sin, we often don't intend to hurt others when sinning.

  By allowing someone to mess up, yet still thinking no evil, we default back to proper love. Think about it. We can give grace in the midst of the worst things happening. We simply infer upon someone good intent. We cannot see the intent, but we must assume the best. 
  For instance. My childhood and teenage years were filled with turmoil. My parents divorced and remarried, fought addictions, had poor communiations and so much more. My parents were messed up in many ways. 
  I could harbor resentments at those things. Sometimes I do. But I know that my parents wanted to give good things. It was their intent to be great parents. Despite their failures, I know they intended success. 

  By looking at intent, I gain freedom. I allow for mistakes and sins in others, while still loving them.

  For the most part, the only time people hack me off now, is when they have fudged up, been forgiven, then turn around and refuse to give the same grace they received to others.

  How dare they! Self-righteous judgementalists! Insensitive jerks! Hypocrites! Oops! I better stop. I sound like I am not being very graceful. Where is that love I just spoke of?

  So there it is. Have we been forgiven? Did not God look upon our hearts and see who we really are? Are we able to give the same grace as we were given?

  I hope so. We have friends and family that need that love. They are hurting. They had no intention of screwing up. They just did. Love them like you want to be loved. I am trying to do the same. Hope for the best.  

No comments:

Post a Comment