Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Overnight runs

  I enjoy driving at night. It is by far less crowded and thus less stressful. I listen to podcasts while I drive, so my choice in entertainment doesn't change.

  However, there are problems unique to driving at night.

  Such as, some people forget to switch to lowbeams when they should. It is bad when they are approaching from the front, but usually a little flick of my highs reminds them. It is worse when they are approaching from behind, there is no way to remind them. Well (should I share this) when they finally do pass, I turn on the highs for a bit to give them a "gentle" reminder. Hey, I never said I was perfect! Its only for a second or two! They started it!

  Then there are the days when I have slept all night, woke in the morning, only to find out, I have to drive thru the following evening. This can be tough. It is difficult to get back to sleep before the next run.

  I have a couple of tricks I can do to help. Such as, I don't drink coffee very often so when those nights do happen I get some and then I am jacked baby! Also, I don't generally get more than 6 hours sleep most nights, so when I do need to catch a little more sleep, its no prob at all, in fact my body kinda thanks me. 

  I guess another problem with driving at night is the phone calls, there rarely is any. I enjoy my calls. It can really help when I get to talk with my family and friends. At night the phone is quiet and I imagine all of them peacefully sleeping. This is a good time for reflecting on the people I love.  

  On the night runs, it can get a bit lonely. Sometimes, I start listening to loner music to really get in the mood. Songs like "Desperado" and "Hear I go again on my own" are perfect for getting depressed. Morbid huh? Yep, you betcha! I know it sounds odd, but sometimes salting the wounds is rather enjoyable. C'mon you don't get this way? 

  As you have most likely guessed, I have just finished a night run. It was pleasant. I don't remember any high beam problems. My eyes burn a little. I am wired from the coffee.

  Speaking of coffee, my mug can hold a staggering 52oz of coffee. Hey, that's a full pot o coffee! Awww Yeahhh, coffee and "Cool ranch" Doritos, let's roll!

  Well, in a couple of hours I will get some sleep for the day. Flipping between day and night driving is tough, but fun. No, no, really it is fun for me. I was born to drive. I love the challenges of driving. Its all the other stuff I miss out on that I don't like.

  Keep it between the lines. And remember, lower those beams! There are rude truckers out there who flash the high beams to remind you if you don't!    

No comments:

Post a Comment